Sunday 20 November 2016

Israel's Landscape


Where were the Lilies?

I recently came across a quotation by Hildegard of Bingen which got me thinking about flowers and my recent trip to Israel. (Hildegard of Bingen, a famous polymath from the twelfth century, is a very interesting and inspiring person in herself; but that's another story.) Her statement went something like this:

"If I really see with open eyes what you, my God, have created, I am already living in heaven. I quietly collect roses, lilies and greenery in my skirt while praising your handiwork."

Immediately came to mind those words of Jesus to his disciples recorded in Luke 12:27:

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labour or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendour was dressed like one of these."

Don't worry, be happy. Good advice.

I always imagined Jesus standing on a green hillside with wild flowers adding colour to the scene. He and his disciples would be enjoying walking about in God's green, colourful creation when Jesus decided to use nature to make his point.

BUT! I searched in vain for green hills and lilies on our recent journeying around Israel. On the contrary, it was the dry, rocky, barren hillsides which grabbed my attention. And the Bedouins' sheep. What on earth could they find to eat, to live on? Here was no lush, green countryside.


What on earth do these goats find to live on?

My geography background came to the fore with an explanation. Wrong time of year for green grass. Israel is in the Mediterranean region where they have hot, dry summers, when everything in the countryside dries up, and this is followed by cool, wet winters. It is the rain in winter which encourages green growth. W e were visiting Israel at the end of summer when it was at its driest. Wrong time of year! Come winter and the accompanying rains and things would soon look different. It's all a matter of timing.
I am reminded of something I wrote some time ago after a visit my wife and I made to England. I called it "It's all in the timing". Here it is.
Before going on a trip I always check out what the place has to offer. If I plan to spend some time in an area (rather than just passing through) I research it even more thoroughly. Sure, the literature will always present a place in its best light and in its best season. Go in the off-season and you are likely to be disappointed.
A small example -
We were travelling around England with a general route in mind but no particular overnight stops planned. This was the first day and the M3 was taking us west from Heathrow where the hire car had been waiting (Yes, the plane was late!). It was soon time to stop for the day, pull off the motorway and find some lodgings for the night. We ended up in a small town called Stockbridge.The short stroll to stretch our legs before dinner took us to a small church surrounded by the graves of its former members and brilliant patches of daffodils. Lingering in this quiet beauty was just what the doctor ordered after a tiring 24 hours plane trip. And my wife loves visiting old church yards!
What a lovely surprise this turned out to be. What a beautiful experience to finish our first day in England. Stockbridge - actually the little old churchyard and the flowering daffodils - remained as a fond memory of England.
Church at Stockbridge, England, with daffodils - a sight to remember.

Fast forward a number of years.
This time we were heading for Somerset to track down some long-gone relatives. It was again the M3 taking us away from Heathrow.
"Let's stay at Stockbridge again."
Heeding the suggestion of the navigator, we did. We even booked in at the same old inn as previously. It seemed to have changed somewhat - not as cute. Our pre-dinner stroll took us back to the same little old church yard.
But, Oh dear! It looked drab and uncared for. There were no colourful flowers, no welcoming daffodils. It was a place to be passed unnoticed.
This second visit was a few months later in the year than our initial visit. And the difference a few months can make. As my golf coach would always say, "Timing is everything."

Same town, same church, different time of year!


No comments:

Post a Comment