Tuesday 13 December 2016

Yiddish music


A Magical Musical Moment

Years ago in previous life, or so it seems, I operated a modest antiques shop, not stocking expensive European goods but having a range of late 19th and early 20th century Australian furniture. It was my interest turned into a small business. Stock for the shop was obtained from a variety of sources, one of which was buying the complete house contents of deceased estates. This, as one could well imagine, would yield a whole range of articles, some on which a profit could be made, others which were not always suitable for my style of shop. These had to be sold on to other types of outlets or given to charity. Amongst these house lots there were often surprises.

In one situation, I remember receiving a number of boxes of music - tapes and vinyl records. The tapes, written in either Spanish or German, were mainly classical, orchestral renditions of the European masters. The records were predominantly Jewish and Yiddish music. Here was something new for me. Listening to various of these open up a whole new area. Previously for me, Jewish music was Fiddler on the Roof, Havah Negilah and The Andrew Sisters singing Bei Mir Bistu Shein; Oh, and Tzena, Tzena!

This was something else. Now here was a wonderful, engaging rhythm which drove the music along and I loved listening to them, scratches and all. They were mainly religious - cantors singing, orchestral, choirs and smaller groups. Many were of chassidic melodies, something I had never heard of. The rhythms of Russia, Ukraine and Poland, on which these songs were based, put a whole new slant on "church music" for me. They bounced from the bright and cheerful to the solemn and majestic, but in all these varying moods bringing out the joyousness of the people's faith. Many of the dance-like melodies built up to climaxes so intense that they seemed suited to more ebullient celebrations than one would expect in a church. But that's my conservative Protestantism speaking.

I was often reminded of King David of Old Testament fame, when he was bringing the Lord's ark back to Jerusalem. Check out his attitude in 1 Kings, 6:5; "David and the whole house of Israel were celebrating with all their might before the Lord with songs and with harps, lyres, tambourines, sistrums and cymbals."  And a little later King David became even more excited which embarrassed some of his citizens. "David, wearing a linen ephod danced before the Lord with all his might while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and sounds of trumpets" (6:14).

One magical moment in Jerusalem brought the joy and rhythms of that Chassidic music back to me. That was at dinner in the Dan Hotel on Sabbath evening. A voice from among the large group dining next to our sedate group began breaking out a rhythm. He was soon joined by others and thus began an interlude of joyful singing welcoming the Sabbath. I had no idea what they were singing about but the joy and excitement was so evident. Blessed indeed are those who find such happiness in their love of the Lord and express it so positively.

When I arrived home from Israel I dug out some of those old vinyls to replay them. They relive for me some of these sounds of joyful worship. Yes, I still had some from 30 years ago in spite of my wife's "Don't tell me you've kept those old scratched Yiddish records!"

I quote from the dust cover of Chabad Nigunim : "A special flavour of originality attaches to these ancient melodies of a century ago and more. The listener is immediately taken back to that wonderful world of soul-stirring purity and elevation, experiencing a yearning for holiness and spirituality combined with inner joy of the Chassidim."


No comments:

Post a Comment